Finished burying the water line today, took 3 more hours. Guestimating it was 10-12 hrs in total.
Preparing for flood, I expect the river will entirely cut me off from everything for 3 days or so.
Think I may be able to use battery box's air vent as a heat source to help keep water line from freezing where it goes into house.
My water project todo list seems to be only getting longer:
- Cut out and replace failed valve coming off of propane water heater, which leaks scalding water and steam right next to inverter (yikes! luckily there are other shutoff valves)
- Fix line I capped off under kitchen sink, that has a slow drip due to bad threads
- Fix/replace bathtub faucet, which fails to divert all water up to shower head due to I think rusting away inside
- Install shower head
- Replace old kitchen faucet with something higher
- Finish burying water line
- Final connection of water line to house
- Level and prep pads (build a water level)
- Install water tanks
- Install water pressure gauge
- Install water pressure sensor and pull data into automation, calibrate to tanks, code up low water alert etc
- Run overflow line from water tanks on hill down to large auxillary cistern that's fed by the other spring
- Replace unused pressure tank in house with small holding tank (to let the water temp come up to house ambient, so washing hands w/o hot water is not painful)
- Add pump on overflow line, so water can be pumped up from other spring when necessary
- Run overflow line from auxillary cistern over to place where I want a waterfall and small pond (waterfall will flow whenever the solar pump decides to run and all the tanks are full)
- Add solar preheater in front of tankless propane heater (probably photovoltaic dump load w/water tank)
solar powered gravity flow water system success!
I have running water in my house!
Long way from being done with this, but I turned on the solar pump, temporarily connected the pipe to the temporary 50 gallon drum, and jacked it into my house's plumbing.
And I waited, and waited, water was going up the hill, but not coming down. I dreaded that perhaps the buried pipe had a kink in it. Waited. Air started coming out. Gusher!
30+ psi! This is with less than 4 feet of water in the tank, and it's 8 feet above living level in the house, so the final system should have even more pressure.
And then I opened the valves intto the house, and that was another tense tense moment, because who knows if this random pipe I found really goes into the house. Well, it does.
Planning to turn off the pump and leave this overnight as a pressure test, hopefully it will keep pressure up and there's no some leak in the old pipe I found where it goes down 8 feet underground to the house.
And in the meantime, I have some plumbing to do in the house, this comes into the hot water side so iI have to cut pipes and switch things around.
Hoped to finish burying the pipe today, but had to stop 1/3rd of the way. Ran out of pex. :-(
I had bought some more at the hardware store, but it was much more flexible, and kinked when I pushed it into the trench.
Apparantly there are not only pex-a, pex-b, pex-c, but within pex-b there's variation in flexibility; Sharkbite markets their pex-b as being more flexible. Nobody at the HW store even knew what pex-b was..
Show whole feed